Bulacan index crimes since January drop 40%
CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan – In light of the enforcement of the community quarantine to contain coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), the total number of index crimes in the province went down by an all-time low of 40 percent for the past five months and nine days as compared to the same period last year.
Col. Lawrence Cajipe, director of the Bulacan Police Provincial Office, said the number of index crimes from January 1 to June 9 this year including murder, homicide, physical injury and rape and carnapping/carjacking, declined to 398 as against 665 during the same period last year.
He said that murder cases in the province decreased from 62 incidents last year to 42 this year. Homicide went down from 16 to 15 and physical injuries, from 100 to 62.
He also said rape went down from 130 to 60 incidents; robbery from 95 to 65; theft from 202 to 115; carnapping from 4 to 3; and motorcycle theft from 56 to 36.
On the other hand, Cajipe said the total number of non-index crimes or violations of special laws and local ordinances went up to 3,069 incidents from January 1 to June this year as against 2,373 incidents in the same period last year.
“The rise in number can be attributed to the apprehension of enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) violators such as curfew and disobedience,” he said.
He added that the continued cooperation of the community is an important factor that led to the significant decrease in the number of crime incidents in the province. (PNA)
The comments posted on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of POLITICS.com.ph. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.