Duterte declares state of calamity in Central Luzon
President Rodrigo Duterte declared the entire Central Luzon region to be under a state of calamity.
In his Proclamation No. 593 issued last Tuesday, Duterte placed Regions 1, II and the Cordilleras also under the same state because of the “widespread destruction, substantial damage and deaths” caused by Typhoon Ompong.
Pursuant to Republic Act No. 10121 or the “Philippine Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Act of 2010,” the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council has recommended the declaration of a State of Calamity in the aforementioned regions,” Duterte said.
The declaration, he added, “will hasten the rescue, recovery, relief and rehabilitation efforts of the government and the private sector, including any international humanitarian assistance.”
It will also “provide basis for price control measures” that can “mitigate the economic impact to affected populations.”
Typhoon Ompong has left 124 people killed, so far, from the four regions – 111 from the Cordilleras, two from Region 1, 10 from Region 2, and one from Region 3. Twenty two people from the Cordilleras remain missing.
Damages to agriculture in the four regions are initially estimated to cost almost P26.5 billion, of which, P2.3 billion is in Central Luzon.
Damages to infrastructure, meanwhile, that include other affected regions are estimated to be worth nearly P33.7 billion.
More than 148,000 houses from the four regions were either totally or partially destroyed.
Duterte said the state of calamity will remain in force until lifted.(END)
Recommended on other sites
Politiko Main Latest News
North Luzon Latest News
Metro Manila Latest News
South Luzon Latest News
Bicol Latest News
Visayas Latest News
The comments posted on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of POLITICS.com.ph. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.